New Faculty Orientation
The Centre for Teaching and Educational Technologies (CTET) welcomes new core and associate faculty to Royal Roads University (RRU)! As a faculty member, you will work closely with CTET and your program in the lead-up to and teaching of your course(s).
This orientation checklist captures the important resources and services necessary to enhance, support, and enable you to be effective and innovative in your teaching experience here at RRU. We’ve also included a short (non-exhaustive) list at the bottom of the page to resources and services that are not provided by CTET, but that will be helpful for you.
- Explore Teaching & Course Design @RRU on Moodle: We’ve gathered some of the most important information and resources to help you become familiar with the process of teaching and course design in a dedicated Moodle space. Not only will this help you to understand how courses are designed and delivered at RRU, but this is also a great opportunity to get hands-on experience using Moodle, RRU’s Learning Management System (LMS). If you have any trouble accessing the site, please contact us.
- Visit the Computer Services Knowledgebase: The Knowledgebase is a valuable source of how-to guides and troubleshooting articles about all things related to technology at RRU. CTET maintains the Teaching & Learning Online chapter of the Knowledgebase, and this is where you will find hundreds of articles about Moodle and the other tools we support. The Knowledgebase homepage also includes contact information for the IT Helpdesk, who can help you with things like password resets, login questions, and RRU hardware.
- Explore the CTET website: Our website includes a wealth of information to support you throughout your journey as a faculty member at RRU. For example, visit Resources for Teaching to learn about RRU’s Learning and Teaching Model and find advice and answers to your questions about teaching. Visit Design & Develop a Course to find course design and development timelines. Visit Multimedia Services to find out how our friendly Multimedia Support Services (MSS) supports faculty. And that’s just the start!
- Connect with your instructional designer (ID) and learning technologist (LT). Every program at RRU has a dedicated instructional designer and learning technologist that supports courses and instructors in that program – this is to say that, eventually, you’ll be working with one or both of them. Your ID and LT would love to meet you and welcome you to RRU. Find out who your dedicated ID and LT are by visiting the CTET Program Liaisons page.
- Stay in touch: Here in CTET, we place a high value on the relationships that we build and maintain with our core and associate faculty. While we have made an effort to make our website as helpful and informative as possible, we also understand that nothing can take the place of human connection. Please consider our door, whether virtual or physical, always open; we would love to hear from you.
- Follow us on Crossroads & Social Media: We frequently publish updates, news, and announcements in Crossroads, RRU’s digital newsletter for faculty and staff. We are also active on Twitter, and can be found @CTET_RRU.
- Sign-up for a faculty development workshop. CTET offers a range of workshops and training opportunities to support faculty and associate faculty with both the pedagogical and technical aspects of teaching at RRU. Our workshops run on a frequent and regular basis and include on-campus and online options. Plus, all fees for our workshops are waived for core and associate faculty. And, if you find a workshop that you’d like to take, but the timing doesn’t work for you, get in touch with us to arrange custom or one-on-one training.
- Get to know CTET Studio. CTET Studio is a collaboration space where core faculty, associate faculty, and staff can work with CTET, learn about educational technologies, and get help with Moodle and other tools. CTET Studio will be a principal form of support while your course is running – we are here to help and support you with any questions or concerns that you have related to Moodle and other tools. Bookmark or make a note of Studio’s contact information and, if you are on-campus, stop by and meet our friendly team.
If you are an associate faculty member, we have additional supports that we are preparing in collaboration with Isabel Cordua-von Specht (Isabel.Specht@RoyalRoads.ca) from Faculty Affairs. Stay tuned for the Associate Faculty Information Hub that will provide centralized information and resources for associate faculty. Feel free to reach out to Isabel if you have questions.
Other helpful links
Note: these pages are not maintained by CTET
- About Royal Roads
- Associate Faculty Information Hub (coming soon – please contact Isabel Cordua-von Specht)
- Acknowledgement of Traditional Lands
- Campus Map
- Campus Security
- Community Directory
- Copyright Office
- Food Services (Habitat Café)
- Human Resources
- IT Help Desk
- Multimedia Services
- Office of Research
- Recreation Centre
- Writing Centre